Wednesday 20 March 2013

Exhibition Review- Graham Tovey: 'Paintings from the Edge'

When heading back to Jersey for Easter holidays I looked up exhibitions I could visit,  however there are not many galleries at home so the choices are limited. I found two exhibitions being held at the Berni Gallery at the Jersey art center, one was on until the day after I got home and the other was just starting. This meant I could see both during the holidays which was very convenient.

The First Exhibition started on the 4th of March and ran until 16th of March. It was titled 'Paintings from the Edge' by local artist Graham Tovey. He is landscape painter who is highly influenced by Joseph Mallord William Turner, a famous British landscape painter. As well as making and exhibiting work Tovey also teaches art. He mainly works in oil paints with a palette knife which allows him to execute his work with speed and spontaneity. His painting are mostly of places in Jersey and France which he always revisits several times which helps him understand the place.


Turner, Peace-burial at sea 1842


Graham Tovey
Before seeing his exhibition I was not expecting much from it but it is one of those shows that look better in real life. Seeing a variety of his work in the one room helped me to get a better perspective of his work however I don't think one piece on its own works well.but the two series he displayed were more prominent. In my opinion the series helps the viewer to understand the meaning to his work. I think this was due to the compositional layout of each painting within the series. His work is very abstract but having lived in Jersey all my life I was still able to associate a place with the painting which to me was quite comforting.

Overall I was more impressed with the exhibition then I expected to be as viewing the work made me understand his way of working. The colour and depth throughout his work was visually appealing and is the type of work I would expect to see in many homes but I don't think it is the most skillful artwork
I have seen.

Sources:

http://artscentre.je/event/paintings-from-the-edge/



No comments:

Post a Comment