Tuesday 12 February 2013

The Photograph as Contemporary Art by Charlotte Cotton

I am not really into books especially academic ones due to the wording however for once this book is a fairy easy read so makes it much more appealing. Due to the ease of understanding this well written book that for once is not over complex I have read most of it. It has a lot of great photographers in such as Anna Gaskell in chapter 2, 'Once upon a time'. This chapter is all about the use of story telling within photography often making references to, 'fables, fairy tales, apocryphal events and modern myths that are already part of our collective consciousness'. This chapter has been very helpful throughout my studies this year as there are a lot of tableaux photographers in it. It is easy to find the artist, very informative but  has plenty of illustrations to keep you interested.
Anna Gaskell, Untitled #59, 1999 

Chapter 3, Deadpan is another chapter that has been very useful for my Orientation unit which I did during the first semester. For this I looked at Deadpan as photographic strategy rather then a specific photographer as I chose to use this strategy like this my self so I was not influencing the viewers opinion of the graffiti.


.
Overall this book is very informative, has many photographers in it and is an easy read so for me this book is great.

Sources:

Book: Charlotte Cotton, The photograph as contemporary art, 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment